Victim Services‎ > ‎



...and Parole

Restitution is the offender's dept to the victim for losses resulting from the crime. The Board requires repayment of restitution as a condition of parole. Parolees who willfully fail to pay restitution may be revoked by the Board.

The condition may be waived if the offender has made a reasonable effort to pay within his/her ability and other factors apply. The offender’s obligation continues even if waived as a parole condition. Per WY Statute §7-9-103 (d), the restitution order is a civil judgment. The victim or prosecutor may request the clerk of court where the order was made to issue execution (for seizure of money or property, garnishment of wages, etc.) in the same manner as in a civil action.

...Restitution Realities
  • Victims seldom receive restitution soon after the offender is sentenced unless that offender has financial resources such as bank accounts or property that can be sold.
  • Restitution collection is often a slow process. It might be years before your first restitution check arrives.
  • Many offenders never pay the total amount of court-ordered restitution.
  • Prison jobs do not pay much, so inmates may not have money for restitution.
  • Parolees typically have lower-paying jobs, so restitution amounts may be small.
  • Offenders must pay their monthly living expenses and any court-ordered child support before they make a restitution payment.
  • In crimes involving more than one victim, restitution payments are divided among them. If the offender committed more than one crime.
  • Offenders make restitution payments through the Clerk of Court where the order was made and it is the Clerk who disperses checks to victims.  Make sure you keep your information current with them otherwise they cannot send you your money.
  • Parolees can be revoked or extended for non-payment of restitution, but the Board can only keep them under supervision for so long before their sentence expires.
  • Once an offender’s sentence expires, restitution collection is more difficult. The process typically falls back onto the victim to contact the clerk, or attorney, or collection agency.